Something about moving seems to make our memories disappear. Even with perfectly labeled boxes, the things we need the most cannot be found at the worst possible times. But what can we do to avoid this situation? The simple act of creating a checklist to monitor our work and progress can save so much time during the move. Let’s discuss some of the necessities to include in your moving list.
The months between when you decide to move and when you finally start packing will involve many different steps. That makes this time one of the most important to make sure that you are keeping track of where things are and what has been accomplished. Things you will want to have in your checklist will include:
- Records – This includes school records if you have children and confidential information like Social Security Cards and tax forms. Hopefully, you already have these stored in a protected folder, but if not, this should be a priority. Also inform banks, insurance, and other important services of your new address.
- Supplies – Know how many supplies you need and where you will get them. Certain movers will have supplies available for you, so make sure you know the best source.
- Mover – Select your moving company and confirm the date. Remember – quality counts!
- Begin the Selection Process – Now is the perfect time to get rid of junk in your home. Begin weeding out the items you don’t need in your new house. Also, start eating perishable food so you don’t waste money spent on groceries.
Close to Moving
As the moving date draws closer, it can be easy to want to hit the panic button. Instead, stay calm and collected, and keep these items on your list:
- Packing and Labeling – Have different checklists for each room of your new home. Cross off the items as they are packed and do not check the room off until everything is packed.
- Change Address – This is important. Whether you do it online or at the post office, make sure it gets done.
- Work/Car – Make sure that your work knows you will be off if you need a weekday to move. You will also want to make sure your car is ready to go before driving long-distance with boxes. These are not issues that you want to discover the day of your move.
- Luggage – Pack bags for overnight and the first day in your new home. You may also want a special box in your car with your valuables in it.
The day has finally arrived! In all the excitement, there are still things to remember. Stay focused, keep your head down, and make sure you get these items done!
- Paying – You will acquire a few costs on the day of your move. Movers, meals, gas, and more will all sneak up. Plan ahead and know how you will pay for it.
- New Home – Make sure that you have everything set up to sleep comfortably in your new home the night you move in. This includes lights, keys, heat, and other utilities.
Check “Finding a Mover” Off Your List
Finding a mover is a major box on many people’s checklist, but it doesn’t have to be! Motivated Movers has the experienced, professional workers needed to make your move simple. Looking for a quote? Our website gives you a detailed quote for free. Try it out and contact us to schedule your moving day!